[Engine-devel] Dynamic resource loading in GWT

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 11:08:58 UTC 2013

Hi Roy,

a couple of notes (I could be totally wrong here, GWT experts - please review/comment):

- from [1]:
"Provides dynamic string lookup of key/value string pairs defined in a module's host HTML page" -
there is a chance that a gwt dictionary is limited to reading key/value string pairs that reside
within the *gwt module host HTML page* (i.e., within the context of the GWT application -
"http://[server]/webadmin/webadmin/...") and not outside - need to find that out.

- again, from [1]:
"a variety of error conditions (particularly those involving key mismatches) cannot be caught until
runtime. Similarly, the GWT compiler is unable discard unused dictionary values since the structure
cannot be statically analyzed".
(this is expected, as the suggested loading here is dynamic, rather than static)

- not sure exactly how this would work with localization; there is "A Caveat Regarding Locale"
mentioned in [1] - IIUC, we will lose the automatic locale-mapping that we have today, and we would
need to do it ourselves somehow (not a big deal, I suppose, just some extra work that needs to be
done here).

----
Thanks,
Einav