[Engine-devel] Dynamic resource loading in GWT

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 08:45:31 UTC 2013

Disclaimer: I don't understand the inner workings of GWT, its interplay
with the browser and so forth. Some comments are interleaved below.

On 07/08/13 15:23, Alexander Wels wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 07, 2013 02:48:45 PM Roy Golan wrote:
>> On 08/07/2013 02:08 PM, Einav Cohen wrote:
>>> Hi Roy,
>>>
>>> a couple of notes (I could be totally wrong here, GWT experts - please
>>> review/comment):
>>>
>>> - from [1]:
>>> "Provides dynamic string lookup of key/value string pairs defined in a
>>> module's host HTML page" - there is a chance that a gwt dictionary is
>>> limited to reading key/value string pairs that reside within the *gwt
>>> module host HTML page* (i.e., within the context of the GWT application -
>>> "http://[server]/webadmin/webadmin/...") and not outside - need to find
>>> that out.
>> well the file servlet resides on [server] so I don't think there a "same
>> origin policy" problem here - correct me if I'm wrong (isn't branding
>> doing something similar?)
>>

> Branding is doing exactly what you are suggesting, generating a dictionary in
> the host page, and having the GWT application read it at runtime. The only
> reason we did it like that, is that there is no other way of changing some of
> the messages at runtime. If there was some way of doing it at compile time I
> would have done that. Also the number of resources changed by branding is very
> limited and therefore won't impact the performance as much as doing every
> single resource.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement a sample case. If
it's not too difficult, why not give it a shot and see if there's
actually an appreciable performance hit?

> There are advantages and disadvantages of both methods that need to be
> carefully weighed, and the GWT developers themselves did that and came to the
> conclusion that compile time inclusion is the best method for most resources.
> They did however anticipate the need for some runtime resources so they
> included Dictionary etc.
>
>>> - again, from [1]:
>>> "a variety of error conditions (particularly those involving key
>>> mismatches) cannot be caught until runtime. Similarly, the GWT compiler
>>> is unable discard unused dictionary values since the structure cannot be
>>> statically analyzed".
>>> (this is expected, as the suggested loading here is dynamic, rather than
>>> static)
>>>
>>> - not sure exactly how this would work with localization; there is "A
>>> Caveat Regarding Locale" mentioned in [1] - IIUC, we will lose the
>>> automatic locale-mapping that we have today, and we would need to do it
>>> ourselves somehow (not a big deal, I suppose, just some extra work that
>>> needs to be done here).
>>

> The branding allows one to define java property bundles for all the supported
> languages, and will load them at runtime and put the translated strings in the
> Dictionary in the host page. Again I wouldn't recommend doing it for a large
> number of resources.
>
>> indeed but it will pay off. a change off resources means ctrl+F5 and not
>> GWT compilation :P
>>

> Sure for the developer it would be great, less compiling. However for the user
> not so much, and in the end we are creating the software for the user and the
> needs of the developer are secondary to that. When I say it is not so great
> for the user, I mean the fact that it becomes a lot harder to cache the host
> page (as the contents can change), vs caching the compiled resources is really
> easy as the contents won't chance.

It's not just about the "needs of the developer" - the way the error
messages are distributed between different files is prone to errors, and
things that are prone to errors eventually will hurt the user.

>>> http://www.gwtproject.org/javadoc/latest/com/google/gwt/i18n/client/Dicti