[Engine-devel] Engine table comments

Libor Spevak lspevak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 12:37:17 UTC 2013

Hi,
I would like to propose to create a patch assigning sql comment to each
Engine table.
The comments will be a part of the exported DB schema report, too.
The terminology is not always consistent across all application layers,
so for the newcomers it would be easier to understand the model.

But, what would be general guidelines?

I recommend to use singular form of entity name as used from end-user
point of view (if somehow visible, of course), or just used frequently
inside code.

Examples:
storage_pool ... Data center
vds_groups ... Cluster
but:
vm_static  ... Virtual machine configuration
vm_dynamic ... Virtual machine runtime data
vm_statistics ... Virtual machine statistics data
etc.

This command prepares a template for the patch:

/psql engine -U postgres -c "select 'COMMENT ON TABLE ' || relname || '
IS ''TODO'';' sql from pg_stat_user_tables t WHERE schemaname='public'
order by t.relname" > comments_to_do.sql//
/
or just I can prepare a page on the wiki with table containing table
names and volunteers :-) can propose simple understandable comments for
known tables.

Is it useful?

Thanks.

Regards,