[Engine-devel] Question about closing UI plugin dialog

Morrissey, Christopher Christopher.Morrissey at netapp.com
Tue Jan 8 14:13:44 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've been working on a plugin for the UI that launches a dialog using the showDialog() API. Our UI is actually contained in a frame inside the dialog and is loaded from a separate server. The only information needed for our UI comes in either through the URL as parameters or from the oVirt REST API. The issue is that once the clicks the OK or Cancel buttons in our UI we need to message to the oVirt UI to close the dialog.

It looks like using the window.postMessage() API would be great for this, but it doesn't work across windows in IE. Would it be possible to change the code that launches the window to open a window that contains a bit of javascript that sets up a listener for closing the dialog and then launches the URL in an iFrame in the window? Of course, if it were in a native GWT dialog this wouldn't be a problem. ;)

-Chris

Chris Morrissey
Software Engineer
NetApp Inc.