[Engine-devel] Question about closing UI plugin dialog

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 17:29:36 UTC 2013

Hi Chris,

I agree with your point, having OK/Cancel buttons controlled by the content within the same (iframe) window context sounds reasonable. On the other hand, we shouldn't restrict showDialog() API in a way that iframe window *must* provide means (buttons) of closing the dialog, as other UI plugins might just want to add Close button via showDialog() API.

So I think a combination of both options (a+b) can be implemented. If your plugin doesn't want to add Close button via showDialog() API, that's OK, you can have OK/Cancel buttons provided by the iframe window.

> This will not be a problem when we're in an iframe. In fact, that is the only place it will work in IE 8 and 9.

:) besides postMessage(), we can also use a trick with iframe updating its URL hash fragment, and Web Admin monitoring iframe URL hash fragment value. But I'd like to try using postMessage() first.

Regards,
Vojtech