[Engine-devel] RFE: Actions on tasks (jobs)

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 15:19:16 UTC 2013

On 01/21/2013 02:08 PM, Shireesh Anjal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We plan to introduce support for gluster tasks in oVirt, using the
> current Jobs/steps framework. Which means, any gluster async task
> started on a cluster will be shown as a Job in the "Tasks" tab. While
> this helps in listing and monitoring the status of all gluster tasks, we
> have a requirement to support a set of actions on such tasks. One should
> be able to select a task, and then, if supported for that task, perform
> one or more of the following actions on it:
>
> - pause
> - resume
> - abort
> - commit

Could you explain what is the meaning of 'commit' in this context?
In addition, is there a need for a 'restart' action ?

Generally, a command (user-action / internal action) is mapped to a Job
when it's monitored.

The job may contain several steps where each step might represent an
async-task (i.e task running on a node, vdsm task).

There are two levels of control: controlling a specific vdsm task/step
or controlling the entire job.

I think that the granularity of the action should be on Job level, since
a step's result (assuming cancelled step is considered failed) will
determine the job's status as failed/aborted - therefore the rest of
running steps should also be aborted.

If needed, supporting 'restart' operation could also be relatively
easily support for job level (requires saving the action's parameters
for a re-run).

The Jobs cleanup manager should take care of cleaning cancelled jobs and
to keep paused jobs.

Does the suggested actions supported by the AsyncTaskManager and by VDSM ?