[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: New Storage API

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 22 15:36:57 UTC 2013

2013-1-15 5:34, Ayal Baron:
> image and volume are overused everywhere and it would be extremely confusing to have multiple meanings to the same terms in the same system (we have image today which means virtual disk and volume which means a part of a virtual disk).
> Personally I don't like the distinction between image and volume done in ec2/openstack/etc seeing as they're treated as different types of entities there while the only real difference is mutability (images are read-only, volumes are read-write).
> To move to the industry terminology we would need to first change all references we have today to image and volume in the system (I would say also in ovirt-engine side) to align with the new meaning.
> Despite my personal dislike of the terms, I definitely see the value in converging on the same terminology as the rest of the industry but to do so would be an arduous task which is out of scope of this discussion imo (patches welcome though ;)

Another distinction between Openstack and oVirt is how the
Nova/ovirt-engine look upon storage systems. In Openstack, a stand alone
storage service(Cinder) exports the raw storage block device to Nova. On
the other hand, in oVirt, storage system is highly bounded with the
cluster scheduling system which integrates storage sub-system, VM
dispatching sub-system, ISO image sub systems. This combination make all
of the sub-system integrated in a whole which is easy to deploy, but it
make the sub-system more opaque and not harder to reuse and maintain.
This new storage API proposal give us an opportunity to distinct these
sub-systems as new components which export better, loose-coupling APIs
to VDSM.