[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: New Storage API

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 22:44:09 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

OpenStack and oVirt have different architectures and goals.

Even though they are both marketed as IaaS solutions they are designed for
different purposes.

OpenStack is designed around the idea of simplifying the *development* and
*integration* of IaaS subsystems through standardization of interfaces. If you
design a system that requires access to some type of infrastructural resource
you can develop against the OpenStack API for that specific resource and you
can consume different underlying implementations of the subsystem.
Alternatively if you are creating a new subsystem implementations one of your
exposed APIs can be the appropriate OpenStack API.

In short, they are a group of loosely coupled services meant to be used
replicated and distributed in a cluster. Everyone can create they own
implementations of the APIs.

oVirt is designed around the idea of simplifying the *management* of said infrastructure.

The ovirt-engine is the cluster manager and VDSM is the host-manager. Every
host in the cluster has a host manager installed on it (VDSM) and some
(currently only 1) might have the cluster-manager (ovirt-engine) and they are
the effective brain. oVirt ideally only has managing entities. VDSM APIs
delegate to other subsystems tasks that are in it's scope, the subsystems have
their own APIs. For VMs you have libvirt, for networking you have the linux
management tools and maybe netcf for policy we now have MOM. For iscsi we have
iscsiadm, etc. The only odd one out is the image provisioning subsystem which I
will get in to, don't worry.

This means, if you didn't already gather, that no host managed by ovirt can
exist without either VDSM or the ovirt-engine living on it. That being said, I
am a huge proponent of making all subsystems optional. Meaning you can have
VDSM that doesn't have the libvirt or networking glue bits and just has
storage, and gluster.

To put it simply, no host without a *managing* entity on it.

But, as you all have pointed out, VDSM is redundant. There is no reason why the
engine can't just directly ask libvirt to do things. There is no reason why we
can't make a general iscsi management API and expose it on it's own,
independent from other services. VDSM is frankensteinesque abomination of
misplaced BL and pass-through APIs.

This is why everyone are having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. I
have people on one side bothering me about putting more *management* logic in.
On the other side people are calling for standardized APIs which can't exist
with engine specific management logic.

To sum up this long rant, if you want to split up the bits that make VDSM in to
independent subsystems just don't work on VDSM because VDSM (excluding the
storage subsystem) is just glue anyway. Better just write another OpenStack
back-end for something.

As for the storage core. It is the only thing in VDSM that is not glue
and actually needs to sit on the host. The new storage code I'm writing is
actually developed in the hope that it will be independent from the rest of
VDSM and VDSM will just have glue, like everything else.