[Engine-devel] [engine-devel] frontend builders proposal

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 14:12:28 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gilad Chaplik" <gchaplik at redhat.com>
To: "Tomas Jelinek" <tjelinek at redhat.com>
Cc: engine-devel at ovirt.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:42:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] [engine-devel] frontend builders proposal

----- Original Message -----

[adding missing part from the thread]

> I agree that this refactoring can significantly help us reduce code
> complexity,
> there is another issue that your suggestion doesn't address,
> but we may want take the opportunity to address it if we are already
> considering refactoring for this code:

> > > this dialog demonstrates the greatest difference (IMHO) between
> > > server side pages to applets,
> > > the back and forth filling the form by retrieving all elements one
> > > by one.
> > > I would think of a concept similar to server side pages, i.e.
> > > retrieving all
> > > data, visibility and even validations (compat?), in a single
> > > request, and let the
> > > server have the logic.
> > Not sure if I have understood you correctly - do you mean moving the
> > frontend logic (e.g. visibility of fields according to some
> > selection) and also the frontend models
> > to the server? I would say it is better to have this on FE.
> IMHO, we should uiqeury (or something similar) or uiplugin (or striving towards it), that get the entire dialog data (with /without ui).
> I'm not sure what is the benefit with your refactoring, can you elaborate on that?
The plan is to decouple the FE from the BE more in the future by changing the current API to call the REST. My patch is actually a step
to this direction because we will not be able to use the backend models anymore and will need to use DTOs. If we will have the building logic centralized,
it will be much more simple to refactor them to use the new DTOs. Any coupling with the server (like getting the dialog data instead of business data) is
a step from the moving to generic REST API, and since this is a long term plan, I would be very careful.

> but let see what others think.

> > However having the validations common between FE and BE would be
> > great. We could prepare a different patch for this.

> I think that common validations are nice to have, and it is least of our problems.
agree