[Engine-devel] Time to move to 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 16:30:55 UTC 2013

On 01/30/2013 05:13 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]

In RPM terms 3.3.0 is the "version", and "0.1.*" is the "release", see here:

[1] http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html

> And make dist produces ovirt-engine-3.3.0.tar.gz which is a release.

ovirt-engine-3.3.0.tar.gz is not a release, it is just the name of a tar
file generated by the makefile. The release is the act of the release
managers, on behalf of the community, announcing and publishing some
artifacts, maybe including a tarball generated with the makefile, maybe
one generated manually, as they see fit.

> You are confusing between upstream and downstream, we will have to fix this before we support more distributions.

I may be confused, of course, but I don't see the connection between the
name of the tarball generated by the makefile and supporting more
distributions, looks to me like the least important thing in these regards.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain