[Engine-devel] cluster emulation mode feature

Omer Frenkel ofrenkel at redhat.com
Thu Jun 6 07:20:30 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

maybe better to name host field as supported_emulated_machines - since it holds the list of supported as reported from vdsm.

the following is a copy from the wiki
"
consider this pseudo-code:

operational = false
if cluster.emulationMode == NULL
 for configVal in Config.ClusterEmulationMode(3.3)
    if configVal in host.emulationModes
        cluster.emulationMode = configVal
        operational = true
 else if clusterEmulationMode in host.emulationMode
       operational = true
if (!operational)
    set host non operationl, reason = UNSUPPORTED_EMULATION_MODE
"

first, i guess where you write '3.3' its actually should be 'cluster.compatibility'
another thing, the configuration will probably have more than 1 option for emulated machine,
for example 3.3 rhel could have {(for EL-)RHEL6.4.0,RHEL6.3.0,..,(for other-)pc-1.3,pc-1.2..}
we need to make sure the list is used ordered so that the greatest value will be first,
since if host supports many, the latest will be used.
in cpu-flags there is a specific number to do this order, maybe same approach can be taken here,
as i'm not sure the RHEL/pc values are consistent (on my f18 i also have 'pc-i440fx-1.4')