[Engine-devel] Cloud-Init integration

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Jun 16 14:08:39 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 07:35:23PM -0400, Greg Padgett wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I'd like to propose a feature we've been doing some investigation
> > into, which is to integrate cloud-init support into oVirt.
> >
> > Cloud-init is used to help provision new Linux systems by setting
> > the hostname, ip, ssh keys, timezone, injecting files, and more.
> > It's used by OpenStack (amongst others) now, and has a lot of
> > features that may be helpful to our users.
> >
> > Details are still evolving, but for more info please see the wiki page:
> >
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cloud-Init_Integration
> >
> > All feedback is welcome!
>
> All feedback? Even if it's 3 months too late?
>
> If so, then here's a few comments:
>
> 1. oVirt-3.2 completely supports IPv6 within guests. It would be nice to
>    carry this on to cloud-init, by allowing to set the IPv6 address of
>    the guest. (or are we happy with the auto configured ipv6 addresses?)
>
> 2. I think that the GUI used for setting IP addresses should be
>    immitated here. It allows Static/DHCP/None, and disables the
>    irrelvant fields when DHCP/None is selected.

Additionally, you should consider showing the vNIC name and not "eth0" etc.
IIUC udev rules are rather unpredictable in this regard and could give your
vNIC a different name on different VM instances (probably by MAC address and/or
PCI address).
Either way, I think it's less confusing to refer to the vNIC itself.

> 3. Is "Support custom volume label for vm payloads" still on the TODO
>    list? Note: F19's dosfstools has renamed mkfs.msdos to mkfs.fat.
>    This means that creating a virtual floppy with a payload currently
>    does not work there (it's a tiny fix, for sure).
>
> 4. I do not see ovirt-guest-agent mentioned in the feaure page. It is
>    the obvious channel to report that cloud-init is Done to Engine.
>
> 5. When we come to implement auto-generate of system ssh key, we may
>    want to install a virtio-rng device in our VMs, to ensure that the
>    keys are not too easy to guess. (or create the key in the host and
>    inject it to the guest)

6. Is this going to be supported on template/instance type level?
Probably static IP is not wise on a template, but the other options seem
like they would be the same for most VMs from the same template/instance.

7. Don't forget backwards compatibility considerations for the engine-VDSM
communication, if you're using APIs that aren't available in older VDSM versions.