[Engine-devel] Device custom properties

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Fri May 3 09:06:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm currently trying to implement device custom properties infrastructure in ovirt-engine.
During discussion with Yair, we found out, that it's not clear, for what type of devices
custom properties should be available? In engine we have the VmDeviceType enum which
contains following values:

     FLOPPY("floppy", "14"),
     DISK("disk", "17"),
     CDROM("cdrom", "15"),
     INTERFACE("interface", "10"),
     BRIDGE("bridge", "3"),
     VIDEO("video", "20"),
     USB("usb", "23"),
     CONTROLLER("controller", "23"),
     REDIR("redir", "23"),
     SPICEVMC("spicevmc", "23"),
     QXL("qxl"),
     CIRRUS("cirrus"),
     SOUND("sound"),
     ICH6("ich6"),
     AC97("ac97"),
     MEMBALLOON("memballoon"),
     SMARTCARD("smartcard"),
     BALLOON("balloon"),
     OTHER("other", "0"),
     UNKNOWN("unknown", "-1");

But VmDevice class has two String attributes device and type. So for example a disk is a device
which has device set to disk and type set to disk (according to VmDeviceCommonUtils.isDisk method).

So my question is, if I have a custom properties for disk, will they be available for all disk
devices (disk, cdrom, floppy, ...) or only for real disk? So should we support custom properties
for all VmDeviceType enum value separately?

Thanks for suggestions

Martin