[Engine-devel] Clusters with empty processor name

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri May 24 12:15:44 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 05:37 PM, Vitor de Lima wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> While I was figuring out how to implement the support for IBM POWER in
> the oVirt engine, I stumbled into an use case that can cause some confusion.
>
> During the creation of a cluster, you can choose an empty processor name
> if you do not select the option "Enable Virt Service". As a result, it
> is possible to create a virtual machine inside a cluster without any
> attached hosts. So, if you create a VM this way, it is impossible to
> decide in which architecture it will run (if it is either x86-64 or
> POWER). Without knowing this, the engine cannot show the proper list of
> device models (for networks, disks, displays, ...) in the frontend.
>
> It raises some questions:
>
> - Why oVirt allows the creation of clusters without a processor name?

so the first host added to the cluster will determine the cluster cpu level.

> - What exactly is the "Virt Service"? Why are the processor  related
> checks only executed if this service is enabled?

virt service means you want to run VMs on that cluster, and not just use
it to host gluster based storage on that cluster.

> - How can this use case be solved? Should the engine always enforce a
> proper CPU name in all clusters?

are you sure use case is relevant - you can't use the cluster before
adding a host to it?
in any case, i think the 'arch' parameter would be a must.
arch would determine the list of cpu families allowed, etc.