[Engine-devel] unable to create ui plugin

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 14:35:40 UTC 2014

Hi Rohit,

which version of Engine are you using? AFAIK, UI plugins were introduced in 3.2.0 release. If you build Engine from source, you can check commit titled "UI plugins, part one" in git log.

The easiest way to test UI plugins is to create a minimal plugin: http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins#UI_plugin_cheat_sheet

Make sure the plugin descriptor (i.e. minimal.json) is located at /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins and readable by Engine.

There is no need to restart Engine. Just refresh WebAdmin in your browser to reload all plugins, you should see following line in Engine log:

  INFO  [org.ovirt.engine.ui.frontend.server.gwt.plugin.PluginDataManager] (http--0.0.0.0-8080-1) Reading UI plugin descriptor [/home/vszocs/build/ovirt-engine/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/minimal.json]

(Note: in above line, you can see that my Engine is at /home/vszocs/build/ovirt-engine instead of /usr because I'm building Engine from source via development environment.)

If you cloned samples-uiplugins git repository and wish to try Space Shooter plugin, just make symlinks to expose plugin descriptor and resources:

  $ ln -s /path/to/samples-uiplugins/space-shooter-plugin/space-shooter.json /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/space-shooter.json
  $ ln -s /path/to/samples-uiplugins/space-shooter-plugin/space-shooter-resources /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/space-shooter-resources

I've just tested both minimal and Space Shooter plugins, they work with latest Engine (master).

If this still doesn't work for you, please send me the plugin and Engine logs.

Regards,
Vojtech