new design: request for comments

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 08:29:23 UTC 2012

On Thu 16 Aug 2012 07:44:29 PM CEST, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> Looks ten times better than current site!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

> - My 1366x768 laptop display cannot keep up with the length and width of the page.

This mockup is a static PNG (which happens to be 1020×1192). I'll make
sure the actual page adapts to different resolutions.

(It will definitely work fine on your resolution without horizontal
scrolling.)

> - I'm not sure what is the different between the 'use' and
> 'documentation', and community and develop - they are tightly
> together. How about 'Use' - 'Interact' - 'Contribute' : use (which
> will encompass download and documentation), Contribute (for develop)
> and Interact (for community)

I'm open for discussing the wording.

However, I chose the names for the navigation for a few reasons:

1) People are strongly conditioned to look for the word "download".
It's an very important keyword to have on every software-related site.
I added "use" there as well, as a place to give quick start information
as well as possible uses — the latter of which would link to the
documentation. (Use = getting started information.)

2) Community is a commonly used word among developers, so it's used in
the mockup for similar reasons. (It's not as strong as a word as
download is, however, but it does have a extremely close association
with FOSS projects.) The section will contain information about the
community involvement, governance, mailing lists, and information on
how to join IRC.

Documentation is a top-level section, as:
• we have quite a lot of documentation already
• it provides a quick link for those who want to do something more with
the oVirt instance they have set up
• it is primarily focused on end-user documentation, not developer
documentation (hence the develop area)

As for your other suggestions:
• Interact may mean interacting with the oVirt software, the oVirt
community, or even oVirt.org itself (as if the site would be a hosted
service, for example). It's a bit ambiguous, and the navigation should
strive to be very clear places to navigate to.
• "Contribute" might work instead of "develop".

navigation with purpose. Your suggestion of "contribute" could be a
replacement for "develop", but it would require further thought (and
perhaps some discussion).

Thanks for your feedback!

Garrett