Enabling Extension:ConfirmAccount

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 08:18:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 07/03/2012 11:32 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>> If that's the case, I'd like to suggest enabling the
>> ConfirmAccount extension
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount - which can
>> be configured to ask users for a username & email address, and
>> their bio/reasons for wanting to have an account. The request is
>> then added to a moderation queue, and anyone who is in the
>> Bureaucrat role can approve the account creation request.

<snip>

> I'm not sure the current system fits in with your description, though
> - - there is a moment where it could be public or private. Under the
> current system, the best place to ask for a wiki account is IRC or the
> arch@ mailing list, since you'll get a fast response and it's quite
> public.

You also need to know that asking in the IRC channel or on arch@ is the
suggested path to follow (not mentioned in the page I saw). It just said
"ask somene" for me.

> I presume the ConfirmAccount has a public queue that only Bureaucrat's
> can resolve?

I believe that's how it works.

> That makes it public, but now we have a greater restriction on who can
> confirm accounts. Right now, anyone with an account can confirm, but
> under ConfirmAccount we'll have to designate and cultivate
> Bureaucrats, yes?

One way we could handle that and spread the policing load would be to
create a different role (Moderator, say) and add everyone to that by
default, and modify the extension to check that role rather than
Bureaucrats for authorisations. This looks like a config option for
ConfirmAccount:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/ConfirmAccount/ConfirmAccount.config.php?view=annotate
(line 106-110).

Cheers,