Trust seed

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 15:27:36 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 07:13 AM, Mike Burns wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 15:52 +0300, Livnat Peer wrote:
>> On 10/07/12 07:35, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> As discussed in last week's meeting, I'm proposing myself as a
> trust seed for this team. Here's what that means, why me, and what
> it does for us. Full consensus requested, please: +1, +0, or -1
> (latter with reasoning included.)
>
> We need to make the leap with this project and begin trusting each
> other enough to share root/sudo access on production servers[1]. By
> a "trust seed" I mean, a person who all others involved trust in
> deciding who else to trust. As a seed, it's a one time thing -
> once created, the initial trust circle will decide for itself how
> to perpetuate, i.e., how to add new people in to the trust circle.
>
> Regarding my qualifications for being trusted and extending trust,
> some supporting points:
>
> * Some of you have met me in person, at the initial oVirt workshop
> and other locations. * Demonstrated involvement in oVirt (presuming
> my wiki and GPG accounts are not compromised, I have commit and
> email history to show involvement.) * Trust in Red Hat can extend
> to me, based on my 10+ years employment, etc. * Presence and
> positions of trust in other open source projects, namely the Fedora
> Project. * Experience working in Fedora Infrastructure as part of a
> distance team of people who have never all met in person. * Handful
> of videos of me talking at conferences, identified by name, and so
> forth.
>
> I can provide references for the above, if requested.
>
> Thanks - Karsten
>>>

>>> +1, Karsten I think you are doing a great work in ovirt in
>>> general and I wish you luck making the infra sub-project a
>>> successful one.
>
>> +1 to Karsten being the initial seed and +1 to other infra
>> members being grandfathered.
>

>>> I would like to suggest that Moran Goldboim would also be
>>> included in the trust seed of the infra project.
>>>
>>> I think Moran is doing a lot of work in oVirt, he is well
>>> familiar in the oVirt community and has a lot of knowledge to
>>> contribute to the infra sub-project.
>> My only question here is whether Moran has already done work in
>> the infra team.  There is certainly work done in other projects,
>> but not much in the infra team that I recall.  Perhaps add Moran
>> as the first or second person through the process?

I added Moran to my list just in case - I want to be sure we don't get
in the way of work anyone is doing already, even if we aren't aware of
it. By this I mean, some folks may be doing infrastructure work but
haven't been making noise about that work; if that's happening, let's
find a way to include such folks. Perhaps as you say, Moran and others
could go through an Infra Team joining process, as long as that
doesn't interfere with his ability to work?

- - Karsten
- --