Infra project mission statement RFC

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 20:10:40 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 12:58 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 03:49:54PM -0400, Robert Middleswarth
> wrote:

>>> A few nits and reorganizations...
>>>
>>> The infra team is a community services infrastructure team made
>>> up of volunteers. It purpose is to manage, in a professional
>>> manner, the oVirt project's infrastructure following accepted
>>> professional standards of system administrators.
>> I like that one better :)
> Provided you change 'It purpose' to 'Its purpose' I mostly like it.
> Not sure about the double professional in there. What's the
> difference between a professional manner and following accepted
> professional standards? Maybe make it modern professional standards
> as well.

I think we could possible drop the professional manner - that may be a
mental barrier to people, "Oh, we can't be playful? This sounds so
corporate. Etc."

For example:

  "The oVirt Infrastructure (Infra) project is a community services
  infrastructure team made up of volunteers. Its purpose is to manage
  the oVirt project's infrastructure following both accepted
  professional standards of system administrators and the open source
  way."

The last bit is added to support our lack of a definition of
"community services infrastructure", which I use to mean, "Follows the
open source way in providing services - open, transparent,
appropriately low/high barriers, common tools, avoid NIH, etc."

Is "the open source way" sufficient without further explanation, or do
we need:

  "... the open source way, meaning anyone is welcome to join the
  project and gain trust and access through merit."

... and now it doesn't sound like a mission anymore. Would it be too
much to actually make a methodology part of the mission? I.e.,
teaching others to fish while fishing with them as a mission.

- - Karsten
- --