Security issues when running gerrit patches on jenkins

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 19:57:04 UTC 2012

Am 18.07.2012 um 13:43 schrieb Mike Burns:
> It's not commit access that is being discussed.  We're not giving that
> away easily.  Jenkins provides the ability to trigger builds/tests on
> patch submission (just submission, not commit).  A savvy attacker could
> write a patch that could cause the tests to compromise the jenkins slave
> machine.  The whitelist being proposed is a whitelist for running the
> build/test based on who submitted the patch.

I got that. I am saying that the way for new committers is similar to
this whitelisting pattern. Meaning that at the start their contributions
are not auto-committed. And then after some time they end up on
a whitelist (== commit access). And if they fail a few times miserably,
the commit access is revoked.
That would match the pattern of not automatically running every
submission directly on gerrit until they have proven that they
know what they are doing.

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn