Draft of presentation for Barcelona

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 00:11:36 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 07:47 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've posted a draft of the presentation for Barcelona [1].  I'd
> appreciate it if you could give feedback to me in the next couple
> days.

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay in responding, no worries if this doesn't catch you
in time to absorb any suggestions. Thanks again for taking on this
presentation, it's important to show these aspects of a fully open
project. Wish I were there!

Thoughts:

* Slide 4: You can spend some time talking about how important a 100%
open infrastructure of participation is. To be fully open-by-default,
our contention is that must include all aspects of the project, not just
the code and it's licensing.
** By being nimble with which way we get our services, we off-load lower
value/non-core services (Wiki, Mailman, Etherpad, etc.) to a PaaS, and
we keep close the high value/core services (Jenkins, Gerrit.) All done
in a way to keep the branding around the community, and any source
produced free/open (from config files to wee useful shell scripts.)
* Slide 6: Add Mailman, wiki? I know the wiki is going to serve the www
need, but "a wiki" is a thing of itself worth mentioning. Similar to
mail services.
* Slide 6: Puppet is still in the planning stages. Right?
* Slide 8: Worth mentioning that Jenkins slaves can be & are provided by
community members, even as internal-only resources they are still
valuable as they provide open data.
* Slide 10: Mention that Puppet is an example of best sysadmin practices
in action; the community project space is a perfect chance to use
high-end open source tools to make our lives easier as lazy volunteers. :)
* Slide 12: Definitely mention that our killer new theme will make a
useful www site of MediaWiki through maximum cleverness; available soon
on github.com (& possibly in MediaWiki itself.)
* Slide 14: Worth mentioning that Red Hat VMs may provide community
members sandboxes.
* Slide 14: Include Mailman in list of hosted-at-Alter Way.

Cheers - Karsten, *envious*