Moving MediaWiki to OpenShift

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 10:17:20 UTC 2012

Hi Karsten,

On 11/09/2012 09:37 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> I'm still learning the specifics of how to use OpenShift for this
> purpose, so my steps here are an overview. I'm keeping good notes, which
> I'll turn in to documentation.

Thanks for this! Very useful.

> * Setup basic MediaWiki on wiki-ovirt.rhcloud.com. (DONE)
> * Add in extensions and customizations we are keeping.
> * Load a recent snapshot of the current wiki database.
> * Load the new theme.
> * Test how things look.
> * Figure out how we're going to deal with the /wiki situation.
> * Change over DNS.
>
> Another option is to update the current wiki to use the new theme, deal
> with the redirects, then do the changeover to OpenShift. Any reason to
> pick one way over another?

A half-way house might be to install the new theme on the current wiki -
anyone can then try it, but the daefault will relain the MonoBook theme
until we switch to the OpenShift site.

> The /wiki situation is that our "wiki" is configured following the
> MediaWiki standard of domain.example.org/wiki. If we're going to make
> MediaWiki the service behind www.ovirt.org, we're going to need to decide:
>
> * Do we keep or drop the /wiki convention?

I vote for this - it's the recommended MediaWiki set-up.

> * How do we handle redirects?
> ** Is this something OpenShift can do?

My understanding is that the redirects we need to handle are old links
which exist in the WordPress site, and which should point at a wiki
equivalent now. Is that correct?

If so, I think the easiest way to do it is to do plain text "permanently
moved" 301 redirects in Apache's config:
Redirect Permanent /old/url /new/url

Since we only have about 30 of these to take care of, we should be fine.

We might want to do something different for blog type links (the "news"
pages) - dependeninf on whether we decide to have a wordpress blog or
not in the future (I think we should).

> * Where do we handle redirects for content from Wordpress?
> ** Do we need individual redirects for each old-URL?!?

I don't think it's a lot of work. I'd recomment individual redirects.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary