New repository - infra

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Tue Nov 20 22:34:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:17:28PM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> I'd like to setup a git repository for the Infra team needs:
>   - infra
>
> In addition to being a repo for e.g. Puppet manifests, I'd like to
> mirror the repositories we have for OpenShift, as well as the
> quickstarts and themes and such we are using that are on GitHub.
>
> The idea is to have one git repo that has everything, and maybe we make
> .git/config rules for folks so when you push it goes to git.ovirt.org
> and {github.com/oVirt,OpenShift git}.

In general I'm in favor of 1 thing per git repository, but I'd propose
*at least* a separate repository for puppet. Foreman has a nice
post-update hook that will create a puppet environment per git branch.

We will also need to manage a private part of puppet. Private SSL keys,
files with passwords for backups and SSH private keys come to mind but
maybe there's more. Depending on how we prefer to do this we could
either do it all locally on the puppet master or maybe a private branch
in gerrit (assuming gerrit can really hide a branch, including gitweb
etc).

Something else that could use a repository now would be scripts we use
on servers, but once we manage all servers with puppet the puppet repo
could also serve this purpose.

AFAIK openshift also uses git branches to work from so that might become
another, but no experience here.