"Download" page: new design

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 11:08:03 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On 08/24/2012 06:21 PM, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> Thanks! I'm glad you like it, and that you and Dave both noticed the
> implications of the design for the “Download” page.

Can I revive this thread post-vacations, please?

Garrett is suggesting modifying the way we package oVirt, which affects
a lot more than just the web page. We really need to have more input
into the feasibility, desirability and potential time-scale for the
changes he's proposing.

Also, we're ready to dive deeper in the 2nd level pages on the site,
focussed on new users, engaged users, and developers, and we'd like to
ensure we're on the right track so far. In the absence of negative
feedback we'll go ahead, in the absence of positive feedback we'll
probably assume no-one's taken the time to look at the designs! I'm sure
Garrett would appreciate an email if you don't have anything positive to
say, just to let him know you like it (off-list, even, if you prefer).

> For oVirt to be really successful, it needs to be super-simple for
> installation and set up. We have to be user-focused, from one end to the
> other — this includes the website, delivery method (one ISO for CDs/USB
> sticks), and installation (as simple as possible). Of course, oVirt
> itself, when it's up and running also needs to be usable too, but I
> think the RHEV folks put some time into that already, so I'm
> concentrating on the rest for now.
>
> If we can't deliver a really polished all-in-one, installable ISO, then
> we should spend effort to try to make it happen soon. (And, if it's not
> feasible to do this in the immediate future, then I can also work on an
> interim design that bridges the gap a bit too.)
>
> I'm really glad to hear that it sounds like this will be possible.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary