Rolling over to new MediaWiki

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 22:09:10 UTC 2012

Garrett's new MediaWiki skin is getting close to completion, and it
happens to run on MediaWiki 1.19, which we need to upgrade to.

We have a few approaches:

1. Staggered upgrade - update MediaWiki 1.19 (either with an RPM or
ZIP), test, then update the theme. Do move to OpenShift as another process.

2. One rollover - create the new site with the new version and the new
theme on OpenShift, import the data (pages and users), test; then freeze
the old wiki, do a final import of pages and users, and roll over DNS to
the OpenShift instance.

Advantages? Disadvantages? Different approaches?

Garrett - we have our install at /wiki, which is a bit standard, and
there are reasons AIUI:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_in_site_root_directory

Note the admonition that doing the wiki at root-level means no support
from Wikimedia developers.

The idea to make the MediaWiki instance the entire site means we need to
decide how we want www.ovirt.org to resolve, same with wiki.ovirt.org,
and do we hack MediaWiki to make it work with / instead of /wiki.

- Karsten, who wrote all this when about to check on the situation with
MediaWiki 1.19 in Fedora/EPEL, and realized we could skip the problem by
using OpenShift directly and immediately.