Rolling over to new MediaWiki

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 23:21:06 UTC 2012

On 09/27/2012 02:06 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> On 09/27/2012 12:09 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>> Garrett's new MediaWiki skin is getting close to completion, and it
>> happens to run on MediaWiki 1.19, which we need to upgrade to.
>>
>> We have a few approaches:
>>
>> 1. Staggered upgrade - update MediaWiki 1.19 (either with an RPM or
>> ZIP), test, then update the theme. Do move to OpenShift as another
>> process.
>>
>> 2. One rollover - create the new site with the new version and the new
>> theme on OpenShift, import the data (pages and users), test; then freeze
>> the old wiki, do a final import of pages and users, and roll over DNS to
>> the OpenShift instance.
>>
>> Advantages? Disadvantages? Different approaches?
>
> It seems to me that we can cut things up into different bits, each of
> which is independent. We can do some of the things independent of
> getting the new site ready to go:
>
> 1. Upgrade MediaWiki to 1.19.2 - this should be a noop for site visitors
> and users
>
> 2. Preparing the content of the site for the migration - we're replacing
> ~15 pages managed by Wordpress by ~6 or 7 wiki pages - we need to make
> sure all the links work, point at existing pages when it's appropriate,
> and we need to do the copy writing for Develop, Documentation and maybe
> review the contetn of Community (which is a bit wordy for my taste right
> now).

I started a page to track this:
http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/New_website_tasks. I put a list of all the
pages on the existing site, sorted by all time traffic.

I'll add the links from Garrett's demo site as well, and we can set
about locating / writing / redirecting content.

> 3. Install extensions which we need for the new site - we need to
> evaluate first. I'd like to have an RSS extension, perhaps a Calendar
> extension, and one for embedding videos from YouTube

The Fedora Project is preparing to roll out
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RSS in their wiki. See example:
https://stg.fedoraproject.org/wiki/CNetSecurity

Jason

--