libvirt or ovirt

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Mon Feb 11 23:18:50 UTC 2013

In the past we've talked about running libvirt or ovirt on alterway02.
Now that we have the server access we should really decide. I want to
reach an agreement before the next meeting (monday 18).

First let's review the benefits of each. Feel free to add here.

Benefits of libvirt:
- Simple to set up
- Uses little resources

Benefits of ovirt:
- Eating our own dogfood
- Scales beter when we want to have multiple nodes / HA features
- Has an extensive API

Both have:
- Good integration with foreman

So libvirt would be a better choice if we want to set up fast, but may
limit us in the longer run. Also may use fewer resources, but in the
long run ovirt may allows us to build a bit of monitoring on top of the
API.

I'd like to get more benefits and/downsides of each solution so we can
reach a conclusion fast.