Proposal for new commit msg design for engine commits

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 09:38:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

You all probably know and familiar with 'ovirt-engine' git hook for commit msg template [1].
this helps understand the general area of the patch in the project but it lacks additional info that might
be valuable for scaling automatic tests in Jenkins CI.

Let me explain:

Infra team is working hard on expanding oVirt CI infrastructure and adding more tests in jenkins (per commit/patch).
Adding important meta-data per patch can significatly improve the ability to run specific tests for each patch/commit,
and not waste valuable resources on Jenkins jobs that are not relevant to the code in the patch.

So the idea is to add/expand current metadata per patch, in the form of: (either)
 1. expanding current header template to include more data like 'network' , 'setup', 'tools', 'virt'
 2. adding a new label with relevant tags for the patch, called e.g 'METADATA: network, rest, virt'

Jenkins jobs will then be able to parse that data and trigger only relevant jobs for it.
this can also allow us to add more jobs per patch, an option that is very problematic today considering the amount of
patches coming in to engine.

Once agreed on a format, we'll be able to add a git hook to verify the validity of the commit msg. (similar to bug-url).

if we're not 100% sure that the tags will cover all corner cases and we feel like we need to run the code on all jobs,
we can a nightly job to run all the remaining jobs (but at least it won't run on every patch/commit).

[1] <core | restapi | tools | history | engine | userportal | webadmin>:

thoughts?

Eyal Edri.