Proposal for new commit msg design for engine commits

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 12:33:57 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Please do not expand header, it is too short anyway.

>  2. adding a new label with relevant tags for the patch, called e.g
>  'METADATA: network, rest, virt'

Having:

CI-Tests: xxx
CI-Tests: yyy
CI-Tests: zzz

Is much better.

However, I don't think that it is the responsibility of the committer.

I suggested some time ago to have metadata information within each source.

Each source should have metadata of:

1. Maintainer group.
2. Subsystem.
3. Any other relevant.

This way you can act automatically using this information.

Java:
/*
 * $OVIRT_METADATA.COMPONENT=<string>
 */
or:
// $OVIRT_METADATA.COMPONENT=<string>

Shell/python:
# $OVIRT_METADATA.COMPONENT=<string>

Well, you get the idea...

This signature will allow:
a. find . -type f | xargs grep '\$OVIRT_METADATA.COMPONENT=mycomponent'
b. Future automation within gerrit.

Regards,
Alon