Design for RackSpace hosts

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 16:29:13 UTC 2013

Below is the list of needs/ideas we had for the RackSpace (RAX) hosts
from this Etherpad:

http://etherpad.ovirt.org/p/new_hosting_design_Jan_2013

I think the status from today's meeting is like this:

* rackspace01 (rax01): F18 + oVirt all-in-one
** oVirt manages multiple VMs on rax01 as Jenkins slaves
*** Jenkins slaves consist of current load, i.e. CentOS 6.x, RHEL 6.x,
Fedora 17, Fedora 18
* rackspace02 (rax02): oVirt testing, what OS?
** bare metal needed for some KVM? or can we use nesting?
*** If nesting, then F18 + oVirt
*** If not nesting, RHEL or RHEVH?
**** If RHEVH, we need a VM for RHEVM

How does that sound?

I intend to work on installs on rax01 on Wed &/or Thu this week. I'll be
around asking questions. :) (And I'll get auth/credentials out to
everyone ASAP, too, so I'm no longer a blocker. AFAIK, I am a blocker
for RackSpace access, at least to start, but I should be able to hand
out most all access.)

- Karsten

== RackSpace hosting ==
=== Host 1 - rackspace01.ovirt.org? ===
* Dell PowerEdge R720
* Single Processor, Hex Core Intel 2.50GHz
* 32GB RAM
* 4 x 100GB eMLC SSD Drive
* RAID 10
* 2000GB
* 1000Mpbs
* Jenkins worker VMs
** Bare-metal, dedicated-to-Jenkins installation
** Hypervisor runs RHEL 6.3
** Repositories enabled: EPEL 6
** Multiple VMs running multiple OSes
*** To start team knows of: CentOS 6.x, RHEL 6.x, Fedora 17, Fedora 18
*** Specifically, any OS is supported as a Jenkins worker; requirements
for providing a VM are not set [TODO]
** Managed by Puppet/Foreman
=== Host 2 - rackspace02.ovirt.org? ===
Host details:
* Dell PowerEdge R720
* Single Processor, Hex Core Intel 2.50GHz
* 32GB RAM
* 2 x300GB 15K 3.5” SAS
* RAID 1
* 2000GB
* 1000Mpbs
* Testing host
** Bare-metal, dedicated to testing installation
** Custom testing rig using REST API, SDK, CLI to create DC, clusters,
add hosts, etc.
** Hypervisor runs RHEL 6.3
** Repositories enabled: EPEL 6
** Managed by Puppet/Foreman
Since this is a single host and valuable resource, we need to think how
to utilize it.
meaning, we'll probably won't run automation tests per commit at first,
should we run it nightly?
- should the host be reprovisioned via foreman for different OSs?