New git repo for jenkins

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 12:07:35 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 05:29 AM, Kiril Nesenko wrote:
> Hi all,
> I think that we need to create new git repo for jenkins in our gerrit.
> This git will store jenkins jobs configuration, scripts etc.

Not opposed, but what does this do for creating or changing existing
jobs?  Do we have to do it outside of jenkins?  Do we simply make
changes in a git checkout, submit them, then they get pushed live
automatically?

IOW, I think we need to map out exactly how things are supposed to get
updated.  I don't think we want people to have to change things in 3
different places.  We'll end up with some changes in git that aren't in
the live jenkins, some that aren't in git, but are live.

Also, what about new job development?  Is that done through jenkins and
then somehow exported into the git repo?  New jobs can take many
iterations to get *right*.

I know I haven't been involved, but was something like this[1] discussed
or evaluated?

[1] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/JobConfigHistory+Plugin

Mike