Loop devices exhausted on fedora-vm02

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Mon Mar 18 13:34:20 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 08:25 AM, Eyal Edri wrote:

> [...]

Looking here [1] there are 2 iso build jobs that could be running on the
host at the same time.

We could throttle the jobs so that they can't run concurrently.  We can
also simply add something like max_loops=256 on the kernel commandline
so that there are extra loop devices.

We've seen this happen before, and livecd-tools is pretty good about
cleaning up, even in failure scenarios (as long as you don't ctrl-c or
kill -9 the job).  But a single job uses a number of loop devices
(3,4,5,6, not actually sure the number).  It also uses lazy umounts in
some cases meaning that there could be a couple loop devices in use that
get cleaned up at a later point.

The simplest fix for this would be to increase the default number of
loop devices.

Mike

[1] http://jenkins.ovirt.org/computer/fedora18-vm02/