logstash was: Re: Herrold request for account right ...

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Nov 13 23:23:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Eyal Edri wrote:

> > Also, I asked a side question about getting a central log
> > server allocated with some drive space, to free up space on
> > end units and for webstats / mailstats reduction.  Any
> > thoughts?

> we should have plenty of space available on the rackspace servers,
> so once we finish with the migration to gluster storage from local,
> we can install there a vm running logstash[1] server to aggregate all logs.
>
> [1] http://www.elasticsearch.org/overview/logstash/

looking, it appears to be acceptibly licensed (Apache 2.0),
but not yet packaged in EPEL or Fedora.  Durably solving .jar
dependencies in RPM are always a challenge for me, as there is
the tension between packaging and dependency resolution
systems

... I have historically just used the 'more Unixy' and long
since in RHEL / Fedora: rsyslog and before that syslog, which
do not carry the packaging hassle.  Each of which are pretty
straightforward to set up iptables on the receiver, and remote
syslogging on the sender

but I will experiment a bit

-- Russ herrold