[vdsm] Keeping VDSM Compatible with Ubuntu

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Sat Sep 28 20:54:01 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Usually I am for defining levels of support for each distribution (downstream), each level can contain more than one.

1st tier - always stable and up.
2nd tier - in tree support but synchronized periodically.
3rd tier - out of tree support endorsed by upstream.
4th tier - out of tree support.

It is hard enough to properly support 1st tier.

Requiring all developers to understand and not break packaging is hard enough, multiple packaging technologies is something that beyond valid requirement.

The role of 2nd tier maintainer is periodically perform whatever is needed in order to sync up, and for larger changes work to integrate the requirement of other platforms into a solution.

Of course from rc and beyond all 1st and 2nd tiers should be stable, so having automation to validate that is good at these stages.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.