Static analysis for oVirt

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Sun Sep 29 16:23:26 UTC 2013

Hi Piotr,

Currently, we employ several static analysis tools in the various oVirt projects.

In oVirt-Engine:
1. We use checkstyle at build time with several standard checks, and a couple implemented by project members
2. FindBugs is run by a Jenkins job: http://jenkins.ovirt.org/view/All/job/ovirt_engine_find_bugs/
3. Animal Sniffer is used to ensure we don't break JDK6 compatibility on GWT-compiled modules (should probably be removed since the last GWT upgrade, BTW), also as a Jenkins job: http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt_engine_animal_sniffer_check/
4. pylint is used to check the python parts: http://jenkins.ovirt.org/view/ovirt_engine/job/ovirt_engine_pylint_gerrit/

In VDSM, we use pep8 as part of the build.

Personally, I've heard about Sonar Qube, but never used it.
Can you share some experience?
How much "noise" does it produce?

-Allon