RPH ** PROBLEM Service Alert: linode01/Root Partition is CRITICAL ** (fwd)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Oct 8 20:57:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > This one looks to be material (running out of space)
>
> Nice! That's a good alert, as usually we don't know we're out of space
> until the mailing lists choke.

** NOD **

> How is the progress on moving to PHX2 going?

Not in my pay grade to know as to that one -- someone else
might answer

> If it helps in any way, I can bump of the disk size a bit, but it has
> costs and requires a reboot. Note that we've moved this disk from 40G
> to 100G in increments over the last several years.

adding a space problem by throwing more space at it, without
addressing with critical thinking, the causes for the overflow
is usually a poor idea ;)

I rather like an image size of 4G for almost all virtual
machines, as I can make an ISO of it that I can burn onto a
simple piece of DVD-RW media, and it is still 'small enough'
that I can shuttle it around with rsync easily.   Going much
over 16 G just takes too long across the wire such that it
takes a noticeable amount of time to do it

-- Russ herrold