Using travis yaml files to specify dependencies and tests

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 13:04:45 UTC 2015

On 02/03, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> [...]
> > of each project, that should not require any parameters:
> >
> >   ./build-artifacts
> >       This should generate any artifacts to be archives (isos, rpms,
> >       debs, tarballs, ...) and leave them at ./exported-artifacts/
> >       directory, for the build system to collect, removing any
> >       previous artifacts if needed.
> >
> >   ./check_patch
> >      Runs all the tests required for any new patchset in gerrit, for
> >      non-merged changes, should be fast to run to get feedback easily
> >
> >   ./check_merge
> >      Runs all the tests for any change that is going to be merged
> >      (right now we are not using gates, so it actually after merge,
> >      but the idea is to use this as gate for any merge to the
> >      repo). This can be more resource hungry than check_path.
> >
> > That way it will let you use easily any framework that you want to use
> > for your project, but still let it be easy to maintain in the global
> > ci/build system (you can use pip, tox, maven, gradle, autotools, make,
> > rake, ...). This will not allow at first running tests in parallel in
> > jenkins, but we can in the future add that possibility (for example,
> > allowing the user to define more than one check script, like
> > check_patch.mytest1 and check_patch.mytest2 and make jenkins run them
> > in parallel).
> > I started a POC of this process here [1]
> >
> > Using travis yaml files:
> > Using a travis compliant yaml file [2]. That will be less flexible
> > than the above solution and will not allow you to run tests in
> > parallel, though it will let you use travis at any point to offload
> > our ci if needed.
> >

> > == Dependencies
> >
> > Using plain text files:
> > Similar to the above scripts solution, I though of adding an extra
> > file, with the same name, to declare the dependencies to run that
> > script. Adding a suffix in case of different requirements for
> > different distros (matching facter fact strings), for example:
> >
> >     ./build-artifacts.req
> >         Main requirements file, used if no more specific one
> >         found. With a newline separated list of packages to install on
> >         the environment (jenkins will take care of which package
> >         manager to use).
> >
> >     ./build-artifacts.req.fc20
> >         Specific requirements for fc20 environment, replaces the
> >         general one if present.
> >
> > And the same for the other scripts (check_patch and check_merge).
> >
> > Using travis yaml file:
> > Using a travis compliant yaml file  with some extensions to declare
> > the different dependencies for each type and os/distro. That will
> > allow you to have only one extra file in your repo, though you'd have
> > to duplicate some of the requirements as travis only has ubuntu and
> > forces you to run scripts to install dependencies.
> >

> > What do you think? Do you have any better idea?
>

> I would prefer to have above scripts in something like jenkins, automation or build sub-directory.

As long as all the projects use the same path and name for them, I have no issue
with putting them somewhere else.

I don't think jenkins is a good name, but automation is a nice one.

build is too common, used by a lot of different tools, better avoid it.

So can we agree to use automation directory?

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.

Tel.: +420 532 294 605