[Kimchi-devel] RFC: "Add disk to existing logical storage pool"

Daniel H Barboza danielhb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jan 31 13:42:47 UTC 2014

Hello!

I am almost delivering a first version of this feature but now I am
having doubts in how it might work or not.

My implementation would use vgextend and add a disk to an existing LVM
pool. The question is that, in this process, all existing data in the
added partition will be deleted. Is this ok? We can warn the user about
it, of course. But I am not sure if this is the intended design.

I've spoken with Aline a while ago and she agreed that the
implementation would function similar to what we have today when
creating a new LVM pool. We simply "do not care" about the potential
data loss when adding the disk to an existing pool.

Any thoughts?

thanks!