[Kimchi-devel] Kimchi feedback

Yu Xin Huo huoyuxin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jun 9 09:50:49 UTC 2014

On 6/9/2014 1:11 PM, Sheldon wrote:
> On 06/05/2014 10:53 AM, Paul Clarke wrote:
>> (Fairly new user of Kimchi, with first impressions)
>>
>> Is there a good location for documentation?
>>
>> It seems difficult to make a new ISO available, or I chose a poor way.
>> - I downloaded from an FTP site requiring non-anonymous authentication
>> - I scp'd it to root at host
>> - I tried to use it from there, but I got permission denied
>> "KCHISO0008E: The hypervisor doesn't have permission to use this ISO
>> /root/..."
>>
>> - the message above recommends copying the file to /var/lib/libvirt,
>> but I think you actually have to copy it to /var/lib/libvirt/images
>>
>> - you also need to "chown qemu" the ISO image
> Discuss with Royce Lv.
> We think the error message misleads you.
> You do not need copy file to /var/lib/libvirt/images.
> it can in any directory. just set the ISO image permission for qmeu user.
>
> The simply way is just as follow:
> $ sudo chmod a+xr /yourpatch/youriso -R
>
> or
> $ sudo chmod a+x /yourpatch/ -R
> $ sudo chmod a+r /yourpatch/youriso # "chown qemu" is also OK
>

> or setfacl
> $ setfacl -R -m u:qemu:rx /yourpatch/youriso
Once the iso image file is searched out, in UI, we can add label/icon to
indicate the permission issue.
Also we can add an action in UI for user to add the permission for qmeu
directly.

To me from kimchi security model, only root users who is on behalf of
kimchi admin can create template,
so when create template, add permission for qemu directly at backend.

> To Yu Xin and Hongliang
> The above error message does dismiss so quickly.
error message is critical for user to troubleshoot the issue, it should
be controlled by user rather than dismissed automatically.
I am trying to figure out the error notification area, will get a mockup
out soon for discussion.