[Kimchi-devel] RFC - New option 'Serial Console' in the template UI

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Wed Mar 25 13:19:21 UTC 2015

On 25/03/15 07:10, Jose Ricardo Ziviani wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'd like to hear from you if it would be nice to have a new option in
> the Template UI to redirect the output to a serial console.
>
> Today, there is a field called 'Graphics' with two options [VNC, Spice].
> What if we have [VNC, Spice, Serial Console (no-graphic)]?
>
> A drawback is the need of an external tool (like virsh console) to be
> able to take the console, as Kimchi doesn't provide one.

It shouldn't be too hard to add it though, wiring up the console port to
a websocket should need minimal changes, and there's a variety of
javascript terminal emulators that are surprisingly decent these days.

hterm, the one I'm most familiar with is part of the chromeos tree, and
looks to be fairly trivial to wire up to a websocket.

code: https://github.com/chromium/hterm