[lago-devel] Why do we need qemu-kvm-*ev* ?

Nadav Goldin ngoldin at redhat.com
Sun Mar 19 11:56:21 UTC 2017

>From what I understand: qemu-kvm exists for backward compatibility,
new features will usually hit qemu-kvm-ev.

If my understanding is correct(couldn't find any official doc to
confirm), I think we should stick with 'qemu-kvm-ev'. Even if we don't
hit a issue now, we could hit something else in the future. I don't
think it complicates the installation, its just another
repository/channel, like all others which we require. It is covered
pretty well both upstream and downstream.

Another option is to add 'recommends' for 'qemu-kvm-ev' in the spec
file, and require 'qemu-kvm'. Code wise we could detect the installed
QEMU version, and toggle the needed features(which for now might only
be iothreads).