[node-devel] Automation Plans for ovirt-node

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 11:00:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 22:44 -0400, simonjin wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 04:45 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> > I've been working on plans for automating ovirt-node builds and testing.
> > I've added a page to the ovirt.org wiki to track my plans and status of
> > where we're at.
> >
> > http://ovirt.org/wiki/Node_Automation
> >
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome.
> >
> This is really great news, automation build&test&release is really
> needed in Node project.
I agree, though I don't know that we'd take the step to do automatic
releases.  I think I'd still want some hands on testing before
releasing.

> spin up a VM for each build process is a great idea, snapshot could be
> used for VM's sanity.
> As for tools, for i know Buildbot(http://trac.buildbot.net/) can cover
> all the goals you described,
> it's a very mature tools for continuous integration, used by lot of
> large community, like Mozilla.org, and it's wrote by Python.

I looked at buildbot a year or so ago and it does do a lot of what we're
looking for. I haven't done a POC or anything with it however.

I'm currently working with Jenkins (http://jenkins-ci.org) to see if it
can cover what we need.  I think I'm leaning more toward Jenkins at the
moment since I know that the Engine and VDSM projects both use Jenkins
already.  It's also in the works for a public instance to be setup on
ovirt.org.  Makes more sense to me to use what is already in use and
being deployed rather than deploy something else as well.

Mike