[node-devel] Bringing common python checks to Node

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 08:41:02 UTC 2012

Hey,

currently it's quite impossible to run common python code checkers like
pyflakes, pylint, doctests, and nose tests on the Node sources. There
are several reasons and the main two beeing:
(a) Functions (unit-/doctests) require runtime informations
(b) Imports fail b/c of a non-standard filesystem hierarchy

Igor was introduced to solve (a). Igor now provisions VMs and real
hardware to run tests at runtime (covering installation and the TUI).

For (b) I've started to refactor some code, restructure some files [1],
and added some basic Makefile targets [2] to solve this.
My goal is to be able to run at least pep8, pylint and pyflakes checks
"offline" - so without a running Node, e.g. with a pre-commit git hook.
The first batch of patches can be found in gerrit, in the pychecks
topic-branch.
This is a work in progress.

Greetings
fabian