[node-devel] run ovirt-node in non-livecd mode

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 11:47:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 13:33 +0800, Wenyi Gao wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Currently, the ovirt-node hypervisor runs in livecd mode, that is the
> root filesystem is read-only.
> We have to run "persist" command for persistent files, which is
> inconvenient for some uses who
> run ovirt-node only as hypervisor alone. So do we have plan to let
> ovirt-node run non-livecd mode?
> Thanks.

Hi Wenyi,

ovirt-node doesn't just run in livecd mode, it *is* a livecd.  If you're
using ovirt-node with ovirt-engine (or derivative builds like RHEV-H
with RHEV-M), then you shouldn't have any need to persist anything
manually.  This is handled by the vdsm and ovirt-node packages
automatically.

There is no plan to let it run in any mode other than livecd.  There are
other options in those cases, like running a full OS rather than an
ovirt-node iso.

Thanks

Mike