[node-devel] About the clean before install

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 11:46:31 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 04:09 AM, Wenyi Gao wrote:
> On 2013-07-25 16:03, Bohai (ricky) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sometimes if the storage device which we speicified to install(not
>> update/downgrade) ovirt-node is not clean, maybe the install failed.
>> Fox example, the VGgroup has existed or partitions exist...
>> Then the user need to do the clean work manually.
>
> You can try "reinstall" if the VG or partitions exists on the storage.
>

>> Whether it's better to add the clean work to the install progress.
>> How do you think about this thing?

It's by design that we fail the install if you've installed on a
different device previously.  The cleanup is actually done in a dracut
plugin to avoid issues with something holding locks on the filesystems
we're cleaning up.  Because it's in dracut, it's not possible to include
this in the installation progress.

You have a couple options for doing this cleanup if you're doing an
install to a different device.

1.  manually do the cleanup
2.  specify "uninstall storage_init=/path/to/device"

uninstall will wipe the devices in storage_init, the proceed with the
install.

As indicated above, you can use "reinstall" if you're installing to the
same device you previously installed to.

Mike