[node-devel] About check_existing_hostvg check to auto installation

Wenyi Gao wenyi at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 11 07:15:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-08 20:37, Mike Burns wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 09:58 PM, Wenyi Gao wrote:

>>> What is your pxe commandline?  What device are you installing to? What
>>> device contains the previous installation?
>>>
>>> The intention of the fix is to prevent users from wiping data
>>> accidentally.  It's existed in the TUI install for some time, and was
>>> previously in the auto-install, but in a migration from bash to
>>> python, was missed.
>>>
>>> As for the bug, it was a customer filed issue in RHEV-H, and not
>>> something I can make public, unfortunately.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Thank you answering the question.
>>
>> My pex command line is as follow:
>>
>> In the emergency shell
>>
>> [root at mcptest ~]# cat /proc/cmdline
>> ksdevice=bootif text BOOTIF=eth0 firstboot storage_init=/dev/sda lang=
>> upgrade storage_vol=50:1024:512:5:2048:-1 standalone hostname=mcptest
>> vga=791 rootpw=$1$cfm5kMmj$M1uknfs/8aSeZkJyf/NBC/
>> root=live:/ovirt-node-image-2.6.1-1.1.el6.iso ssh_pwauth=1
>> ks=http://9.181.129.219/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/62 rootfstype=auto ro
>> liveimg nomodeset check rootflags=loop crashkernel=512M-2G:64M,2G-:128M
>> elevator=deadline processor.max_cstate=1 install rhgb rd_NO_LUKS
>> rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
>>
>> [root at mcptest ~]# pvs
>>    PV                                              VG     Fmt Attr
>> PSize PFree
>>    /dev/mapper/3600605b003b86620166a1ddb0bfa15b7p4 HostVG lvm2 a--
>> 1.36t    0
>>

>> We are installing it to the hard disk , and the previous installation is
>> RHEVH 6.3. During the installation,
>> before performing the disk format, it checks that there is a existing
>> HostVG on the disk, so it stops installing.
>
> It's possible we're not translating correctly from /dev/sda to
> /dev/mapper/3600*.
>
> Can you try one thing?  try adding reinstall instead of install to the
> PXE command line.  Also, you probably shouldn't pass both upgrade and
> install on the same command line.  It's may be getting confused
> because it has both of those.

I removed upgrade and change install to reinstall in the parameters, and
still got the same error. The error is caused by following code in
storage.py:

def storage_auto():
     storage = Storage()
     if not _functions.OVIRT_VARS["OVIRT_INIT"] == "":
         #force root install variable for autoinstalls
         _functions.OVIRT_VARS["OVIRT_ROOT_INSTALL"] = "y"
         if _functions.check_existing_hostvg("") or \
            _functions.check_existing_hostvg("","AppVG"):
             logger.error("HostVG/AppVG exists on a separate disk")
             logger.error("Manual Intervention required")
             return False
         if storage.perform_partitioning():
             return True
     else:
         logger.error("Storage Device Is Required for Auto Installation")
     return False

When run check_existing_hostvg, because our disk have a existing HostVG,

[root at mcptest ~]# pvs
    PV                                              VG     Fmt  Attr
PSize PFree
    /dev/mapper/3600605b003b86620166a1ddb0bfa15b7p4 HostVG lvm2 a--
1.36t    0

So check_existing_hostvg("") always return "True", which leads to the
issue. I think the HostVG should be there
because the machine have installed RHEVH system before. So can we can
skip the check_existing_hostvg
for an machine with a HostVG already?