[node-devel] Introduction of ovirt-node-features

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 16:40:34 UTC 2014

Hey,

another introduction. Recently I merged a series of patches to let
components export informations about themselves.

When we moved to a simple core and extension through plugins model an
outsider can't make hard assumptions about the functionality a Node
provides anymore.

Thus we needed a mechanism to expose the features a Node has.

The current (early and simple) mechanism allows TUI plugins to expose
properties.

ovirt-node-features is the tool which dumps the registered features:
E.g. a run on the current master reveals:

$ PYTHONPATH=src scripts/ovirt-node-features dumpxml
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<node version="0.1">
  <features>
    <feature description="Has a UI" name="ui"
namespace="ovirt.node.setup.core" owner="ovirt.node.setup.core"
version=""/>
    <feature description="Offers provisioning via puppet" name="puppet"
namespace="ovirt.node.setup.puppet" owner="ovirt.node.setup.puppet"
version=""/>
    <feature description="Offers informations via SNMP" name="snmp"
namespace="ovirt.node.setup.snmp" owner="ovirt.node.setup.snmp"
version=""/>
    <feature description="This feature represents the CPE of this
product" name="version" namespace="cpe" owner="__main__"
version="">cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:19</feature>
    <feature description="Offers informations via CIM" name="cim"
namespace="ovirt.node.setup.cim" owner="ovirt.node.setup.cim"
version=""/>
  </features>
  <methods/>
</node>

The registration currently happens by plugins defining a magic function,
which is the called by the tool do discover the exposed features.
The idea is to extend this mechanism to provide other ways to expose
features.
E.g. let plugins drop an xml snippet in some dir.

- fabian