[node-devel] Docker in the land of Node (plugin and build-system)

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 03:03:58 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 04:31 AM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Docker is somewhat a hype these days.
>
> And docker can also be found in the Node land. In two ways actually.
>
> First:
> Ryan added some Dockerfiles which you can use to build ovirt-node-iso
> within a Docker container. That is great. Because it separates the host
> OS from the to-be-build-OS.
> Ref: http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/24679/

Very nice.  So does this removes livecd-tools from the build process?
or does it run livecd-tools through Docker?

> Second:
> I just added a (draft) plugin which adds Docker to an existing Node ISO
> and runs it in "host mode", that means Docker will be bound to a public
> port (4243 in out case) and users can use it from remote using:
>
> $ docker -H $NODEADDR:4243 info
>
> This has the benefit of having the solid nature of Node as a base and
> the flexibility of Docker on top.
> Ref: http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/25370/

IIUC, this would allow containers to run locally on ovirt-node.  Is
there any management interface for this?  Is this a roadmap item for
engine to consume?  Or is it to make Node an option for another
container-based virtualization management tool?