[node-devel] Versioning of oVirt Node

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 10:55:22 UTC 2014

Am Montag, den 31.03.2014, 05:20 -0400 schrieb Barak Azulay:

> distributions(?)
> > >
> > > In general I favor of having only one stable Node per
> distribution. Thus
> > > one for Fedora, and one for CentOS.
> > >
> > > Besides that, we could investigate how yum is handling different
> dist
> > > tags on packages in the same repo.
> > > I.e.:
> > > node-3.0-0.fc19.rpm
> > > node-3.0-0.el6.rpm
> > > In the same repo.
> >
> > no... it should be:
> >
> > node-fc19-3.0-0.fc19.rpm
> > node-centos-3.0-0.fc19.rpm
> > node-fc19-3.0-0.el6.rpm
> > node-centos-3.0-0.el6.rpm
> >
> > As there is no reason why I would not like centos hosts for my
> fedora engine
> > :)
> >
> > And there is no reason why we should not allow keeping these
> available
> > side-by-side.
>
> The logic of selection the most appropriate upgrade suggest different.
>
> Guys again if users need to know what distro ovirt-node is constructed
> from than it misses the entire point of the node

Basically the users don't need to know what platform is used for the
Node.
The original idea was to deliver CenTOS nodes from the centos repo, and
Fedora nodes from the Fedora repo.
If this makes sense is discussed on another branch of this thread.

But we should give them the opportunity to use the Node they want, if
they care about the platform.

Technically it also makes a difference if you develop a plugin for
CentOS or Fedora.

- fabian