[Users] ovirt-node on Gentoo

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 12:48:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 12:23 +0100, Dimitrije Zivkovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   so, since I'm also migrating my system from OpenRC to systemd - pure
> systemd, no OpenRC compatibility, would it be any help to set the
> condition that ovirt-node requires systemd? I mean, the question here
> is ( and I think it is worth asking it ) is it worth the time and
> effort to keep parallel scripts and stuff?
> If using systemd means that, for now, init standards are no longer an
> issue, maybe that should be the way to go? Setup ovirt-node under
> systemd for now and solve init scripts problems later? Is systemd
> mature enough to inherit SysV or OpenRC completly? Or am I somehow
> wrong?
> My system is working with systemd quite nice, no obvious problems so
> far...
>
> PS. Maybe someone could point out what is the minimal set of services
> needed to run on ovirt-node system/computer? So just to check if
> systemd has needed scripts already...

I just want to clarify terms here.  oVirt Node is a complete livecd
based image.  You don't install ovirt-node on a running system, you
build an image with it installed and then run that image.

With that said, ovirt-node does have similar problems w.r.t. networking
configuration, etc.  It directly
manipulates /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/* and probably has other
stuff as well that is Fedora specific.  Adding a dependency on systemd
is not really applicable in this case, since it's a pre-built image.

You sounds like you're interesting in vdsm directly, not ovirt-node.

Mike